She is seven years old now and she still pulls/carries this blanket everywhere she goes around the house.I remember her getting stuck to these blanket, she called it”ket “at 12months, it was the blanket I used to cover her so I can understand the attachment.They are inseparable.Sometimes it gets so dirty I have to sneak it out to wash it and of course it goes with sucking her thumb.
The attachment with that blanket was so strong, it got really rough when she was age 2 and I changed it to the one she is currently using now. she is seven years old.WOW!!!!didn’t realise she has had it for this long but just looking at our pictures from years back I saw the previous one and this one,We moved location, houses and she’s has held on to this piece of cloth, ”SECURITY BLANKET”or TRANSITIONAL OBJECTS as it’s called is AN OBJECT OR TOY A CHILD IS ATTACHED TO AND WANTS CLOSE TO THEM ALWAYS.
Security blankets personify all that is positive and comforting in a child’s world — her room, her own scent.Some children adopt a security blanket to adjust to the emotional changes brought about by weaning and I think that was her case.They’re transitional in that they provide a bridge between a period of constant comforting attachment to mom and dad and a growing independence in the world. They are a means by which a kid teaches himself or herself self-regulation.Most times they even give these object names.
These are what I discovered about the security blanket,
1. IT IS PART OF HER BEDTIME RITUALS :she carries the special/security blanket to her be and refuses to sleep except it’s by her side.i mean we start to look for it , if it’s not by her side.
2. COMFORT IN UNCERTAIN TIMES AND NEW SITUATIONS AND PAIN:when she is an unfamiliar place or into a new situation or when they feel insecure she insist on carrying her blanket, or when it’s light out at night, or throughout the day, if she is upset she goes straight to it and if she wakes up at night and reaches out for it she goes back to sleep.She hugs onto it even closer.
3. CONTAINS SENSE OF ORIGINAL OWNER:The attachment and affection for this cloth having been with it for this long period of time gives her ownership rights or original owner.
4. ENCOURAGES FAVOURABLE DISPOSITION AT ALL TIMES:When her blanket it by her side she is just happy an cheerful.
5. IT CAN ALSO BE AN INDICATION HOW SHE WILL CREATE AND CHERISH HUMAN FRIENDSHIP:With how she cares or carries it out she can make and cherish friendship with people.
Thumb sucking, like security blankets, is a normal, natural method that young children employ to self-soothe. The attachment is temporary. In time, children forgo security blankets as they develop other stress-management techniques.I am sure the attachment with this blanket can be the same for pacifiers.
We all comfort ourselves in one way or the other even as grown ups.We have our pillows,our pets and even our mobile devices.
Does you child have a security blanket ?how do you feel about it.
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY PARENTINS.COM
PLEASE SHARE,LIKE AND COMMENT
CHECK US ON INSTAGRAM @parentin.community